bq. “An internal review at the Social Security Administration found that the agency has paid accused felons between $76 million and $283 million in SSI benefits since 1996, the year Congress banned felony fugitives from receiving them. Auditors also estimate that other Social Security programs, in which payments to fugitives aren’t banned, could be granting fugitives up to $179 million each year.” —The Federalist, 03-06 Digest
For crying out loud. Pick a year, grandfather in every citizen born -before- in or before that year, and let’s work toward paying their retirement benefits and getting rid of the SSA so that future generations do not have to watch their income be siphoned off, never to be see it return at the same rate it was taken.
And how sad is it that it took Congress 40 years to determine that felons should not be receiving Social Security benefits?!?
Update (2:10pm): from Carl Brueckner in the same Federalist issue:
- Q: Which party took Social Security from an independent fund and put it in the general fund so that Congress could spend it?
A: It was Lyndon Johnson and the Democrat-controlled House and Senate.
- Q: Which party put a tax on Social Security?
A: The Democrat Party.
- Q: Which party increased the tax on Social Security?
A: The Democrat Party with Al Gore casting the deciding vote.
- Q: Which party decided to give money to immigrants?
A: That’s right, immigrants moved into this country at 65 and got SSI Social Security. The Democrat Party gave that to them although they never paid a dime into it.
- Then, after doing all this, the Democrats turn around and tell you: the Republicans want to take your Social Security.
I say good riddance.