Below follows the list of books I read in 2010. Links go to the dead-tree edition (for the most part) on Amazon. You can see this list, as well as past years on the reading page.
An asterisk signifies the book was read electronically, most likely on my iPhone.
Beginning in May, I started noting the completion date of reading a tome. This doesn’t necessarily translate into x amount of time between books being the actual amount of time it took to read a book. There are days where I’m in between books and simply haven’t started a new one. Other times, I’ve got two books going at once (usually one in print, one on the iPhone). I just thought it would be fun to note those dates.
Since I began tracking toward the end of 2007, this proved a banner year for my reading. I got through 43 books, graphic novels, and novellas in 2010, and I’m already excited about 2011. I’m currently in the middle of two books (one in print, one on the iPhone), with four more in the queue I can’t wait to get to.
Traditionally, I’ve been a heavy fiction reader, and this trend did not change in 2010. I only read five non-fiction books last year, and two of those were memoirs of a sort.
What jumped out at me when reviewing the list was how heavy it was with books turned into movies. It starts with Youth in Revolt, recommended and loaned to me by Brent, then moved to Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, The Losers, The American, The Town, and True Grit. I’ll admit that five of those six were a result of being prompted to read them before seeing the movie, or as a result of having seen it. This amounted to nearly one-seventh of my entire list being tied to a movie.
The list is presented in reverse order, so the last book I read is at the top.
- Stupid Christmas – Leland Gregory (12/24) *
- Marching Bands Are Just Homeless Orchestras, Half-Empty Thoughts Vol. 1 – Tim Siedell (illustrated by Brian Andreas) (12/22) *
- True Grit – Charles Portis (12/20)
- Gazelles, Baby Steps And 37 Other Things Dave Ramsey Taught Me About Debt – Jon Acuff (11/30) *
- The Rembrandt Affair – Daniel Silva (11/15)
- The Defector – Daniel Silva (11/10) *
- Moscow Rules – Daniel Silva (11/4) *
- Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man’s Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut – Rob Sheffield (10/30)
- Worth Dying For – Lee Child (10/25)
- On Target – Mark Greaney (10/14)
- The Secret Servant – Daniel Silva (10/11) *
- The Messenger – Daniel Silva (10/1) (2d time reading) *
- Prince of Fire – Daniel Silva (9/24) (2d time reading) *
- The Town (previously published as Prince of Thieves) – Chuck Hogan (9/20)
- The American: A Special Edition of A Very Private Gentleman – Martin Booth (9/14)
- A Death in Vienna – Daniel Silva (9/8) *
- The Confessor – Daniel Silva (8/30) *
- Path of Destruction: A Novel of the Old Republic (Star Wars: Darth Bane, Book 1) – Drew Karpyshyn (8/20)
- The English Assassin – Daniel Silva (8/20) *
- Lost in the Meritocracy: The Undereducation of an Overachiever – Walter Kirn (8/10)
- The Kill Artist – Daniel Silva (8/6) (2d time reading) *
- Red Mars – Kim Stanley Robinson (7/31)
- The Passage – Justin Cronin (7/21)
- The Naked Gospel – Andrew Farley (7/1)
- The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest – Stieg Larsson (7/1)
- The Girl Who Played with Fire – Stieg Larsson (6/11)
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Stieg Larsson (6/2)
- 61 Hours: A Reacher Novel – Lee Child (5/21)
- “Midnight in Death”, a novella from Three in Death – J.D. Robb (5/19)
- Holiday in Death – J.D. Robb (5/17)
- Addition by Adoption: Kids, Causes & 140 Characters – Kevin D. Hendricks (5/11)
- Vengeance in Death – J.D. Robb (5/7)
- The Losers: Book One (Vols. 1 & 2) – Andy Diggle & Jock (yes, graphic novels count)
- Devil’s Keep – Phillip Finch
- The Breach – Patrick Lee
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter – Seth Grahame-Smith
- The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 5) – Rick Riordan
- The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 4) – Rick Riordan
- The Titan’s Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 3) – Rick Riordan
- The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2) – Rick Riordan
- The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1) – Rick Riordan
- I, Sniper – Stephen Hunter
- Youth in Revolt: The Journals of Nick Twisp – C.D. Payne