World Water Day 2014 on Instagram
Around the world, 1.2 billion people—nearly a fifth of the planet—lack access to clean water. To call attention to the plight, the United Nations designated March 22 as World Water Day. Here are just a few of the many people and organizations on Instagram working to raise awareness about water issues around the globe:
- water.org (@water) – Working with hundreds of communities in Africa, South Asia and Central America to provide access to safe water and sanitation. Collaborating with Benjamin Heath (@benjaminheath), Steph Goralnick (@sgoralnick) and Simone Bramante (@brahmino) to share scenes from Kenya on Instagram.
- Balazs Gardi (@balazsgardi) – Photojournalist who has spent the past decade documenting the effects of the unfolding global water crisis.
- charity: water (@charitywater) – A non-profit organization on a mission to bring clean and safe drinking water to every person on the planet. Currently working with Vik Muniz (@vikmuniz) and Students Rebuild (@studentsrebuild) to bring clean water to over 16,000 people in Tanzania.
- Corey Arnold (@arni_coraldo) – Photographer and fisherman documenting glaciers for Project Pressure (@projectpressure) to create the world’s first interactive glacier archive in order to better understand climate change.
- Hurley H2O (@hurley_h2o) – Hurley’s water initiative striving alongside Waves for Water (@wavesforwater) to provide clean water for everyone.
- WaterAid (@wateraid) – Bringing water, sanitation and hygiene education to where it is needed most for over 30 years.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium (@montereybayaquarium) – California aquarium with a mission to inspire conservation of the oceans.